Here are a few reasons to feel really old.
Freshmen entering college this fall were born in 1995. While you probably had a cassette player or Discman, answering machine and an Apple IIe, life without a smart phone is almost unimaginable for this generation.
Rites of passage have more to do with having their own cell phone and Skype accounts than with getting a driver’s license and car. Your car CD player is so ancient and embarrassing to them, and they never really have to go over to their friends’ houses to study. They can just do that virtually.
Recently, Beloit Mindset List authors introduced the 16th annual Mindset List via webcast using Mediasite by Sonic Foundry, giving the world a look at the cultural touchstones that have shaped the lives of this year’s incoming college freshmen. The annual list began as a reminder to faculty to be aware of dated references, and it has morphed into an international look of the rapidly changing worldview of each new college generation.
Feeling ancient yet? If not, read on:
- As they started to crawl, so did the news across the bottom of the TV screen.
- Having a chat has seldom involved talking.
- Eminem and LL Cool J could show up at parents’ weekend.
- Gaga has never been baby talk.
- They have known only two presidents.
- PayPal has replaced a pen pal as a best friend online.
- Growing up with the family dog, one of them has worn an electronic collar, while the other has toted an electronic lifeline.
- As their parents held them as infants, they may have wondered whether it was the baby or Windows 95 that had them more excited.
- Dean Martin, Mickey Mantle and Jerry Garcia have always been dead.
- They could always get rid of outdated toys on eBay.
Want more of the Mindset List?
- Read our press release to learn more: Online Exclusive: Beloit College Mindset List Announced Via Mediasite Webcast
- Watch the authors discuss this year’s list in a Mediasite webcast: www.sonicfoundry.com/mindsetwebcast
- Register for our free webinar with Mindset List authors on September 24: www.sonicfoundry.com/MindsetWebinar
- Check out the full Mindset List of 60 things about the class of 2017: www.beloit.edu/mindset/2017/