Who We Are
About Sonic Foundry, Mediasite and our vision for the webcasting future
We were founded in 1991 in Madison, Wisconsin, and our first products were groundbreaking software applications that let the average person with a PC manipulate digital audio and video. Ten years later, we decided to tackle some bigger enterprise communication and video content management problems.
The result is Mediasite, the patented webcasting platform, which automates the capture, management, delivery, search and analytics of video lectures, online training, conference presentations and executive briefings. Today, through our Mediasite platform and webcasting services, featuring the Mediasite Events group, we help our customers connect within a dynamic world of shared knowledge with video webcasts.
Three forms of communication – audio, visual and kinesthetic – each play a unique role in your ability to communicate and learn. We believe one reason people embrace the webcasting medium so fully is because it incorporates these combined ways of processing information: audio, video and visual aids, plus interactive navigation.
And beyond the engagement inherent to this medium, webcasting gives you the power to bridge time and distance. Simultaneously reach people in multiple locations. Get everyone on the same page at the same time. Create a real-time archive of video knowledge and let people watch it again and again, anytime, anywhere.
Our vision for the future
We live by two main tenets: first, never require a change in the way instructors or presenters present and second, get this recorded video knowledge to the audience as quickly, reliably and easily as possible.
Because webcasting is becoming an everyday part of the way people work and learn, we’re driven to shorten the time it takes people not only to share their information but also to find the information they need.
So while today leading-edge colleges and universities use Mediasite for lecture capture; corporations, government and nonprofit organizations use Mediasite for enterprise webcasting to stream training modules and executive briefings; healthcare facilities webcasts grand rounds and medical training, and conferences use event webcasting to create hybrid events, we envision a future where people around the globe use webcasting to dramatically accelerate research and improve individual performance.
We believe in the future:
- Every classroom, every meeting hall, every conference room will have Mediasite in it, just as you see projectors now.
- Every minute of every day, millions of students and adult learners around the world will log on to watch or review class via Mediasite.
- In every country on the planet, the most talented researchers will mediasite their findings and use powerful search technologies to spur major breakthroughs in science and medicine.
- Mediasite content will become standard operating procedure for every HR, customer service and training department, and workers will share their expertise within the workplace via webcast.
- Every CEO will address the entire global organization from his/her desk.
- Every conference will webcast each keynote, breakout and session.
- Greenhouse gases and carbon footprints will decrease.
- Grades, profits and company morale will increase – thanks in a small part to webcasting.
As a company, we’re helping create the video libraries of tomorrow with technology that doesn’t compound the world’s information overload. We are working to put a face on all knowledge online, and we believe the world will be more knowledgeable, more connected as a result.